Skip to main content

Little Things

Lately I've been shifting my attention to try and focus on the little things that need improvement in my kendo.  Not necessarily any big things like trying to master new techniques, but small changes in my current techniques, and also in my body carriage and footwork.  While the improvements may not be as noticeable by themselves, together they will make for better, stronger kendo.

In the footwork department I've noticed (and been told) that I not only carry my back heel a bit high, but also a bit too far out.  So I've taken steps to correct this issue, including turning my foot in a bit during drills and keeping my heel down low.  I try to make it a habit to "feel" where the floor is as I step into the correct stance, so that I don't get in the habit of raising my heel too high.  After I get used to knowing how far down to keep my back heel I'll be able to step into it naturally.  While these changes are fairly easy to implement during drills, I still have a tough time with them during jigeiko and end up falling back on bad habits.  I'll continue to work on it, though, so that it becomes habit to keep my heel lower and my foot a bit straighter.

With my body I've really been focusing on keeping my upper body straight and leading with my center instead of my arms and shoulders.  I've had to shorten up my fumikomi to work on this properly, but after I get into the habit of moving and striking from my center I'll be able to expand my fumikomi out again.  Sensei also has me working on more explosive movement, as was my request from him a few weeks ago, so I'm doing some specialized drills on my days off and before practice to help with that.   The process is, honestly, very tiring because I end up engaging both of my legs more than I was before, but it's starting to feel a bit better compared to when I first started, so that tells me that improvement is being made (slowly but surely!). 

With my kamae and sword work I've been working on keeping a good center, no matter what my partners/opponents do.  This one is tough, as a lot of times I end up giving up center prematurely which leads to me getting hit a lot.  But it's still a work in progress.  I've also been trying to eliminate the wasted movement in my swings, which is an ongoing focus, and also to work on various multiple hits, including kote-men and kote-do, and trying to make them as smooth and quick as I can while still keeping my proper technique.  And with my spirit I've been trying to not only keep my spirit high throughout training, but to also remember to carry my kiai as part of zanshin as I follow-through after an attack, and trying to work on keeping that mental alertness that follows an attack, so that I can attack or counter as necessary afterward.  Again, very much a work in progress.

So that's me right now in a nutshell.  Submitted to the wide world of my blog as both a mile marker and a source of motivation to improve these issues.  I'm constantly tweaking and trying to improve my kendo, and with it out in the open for me to see (and anyone else that reads through here), I'm able to better visualize where I'm at and what still needs work. 

On a side note, our dojo welcomed a host of new people into our advance/pre-bogu class on Wednesday night.  We had about 8-10 people that moved up into our class from the intermediate class, and it was so good to see such a large class stick with practice and join us.  I've had the privilege of helping out and even leading their classes quite a bit through the past few months, and I hope that they all continue to practice hard so that they can all be ready for bogu in the (hopefully near) future.  From personal experience it can be quite a shock in our dojo to jump up, because there's so much going on and so many new techniques thrown at them, so I'll be sure to make myself as available as I can for them, and I know that the other dojo members are just as eager to help as I am.  I'm definitely excited to see their progress and their contributions to our dojo over the course of training.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the