Skip to main content

Behind The Curtain

I've had a pretty solid, and tiring, couple of weeks of training since my last post, and I have to say that working on the little issues that I have is tough!  I've put a lot of focus into those things, and I've tried to keep that focus throughout practice...with varied success.  It's definitely an exhausting, and humbling, experience.  Plus the last week I've been fighting a sore throat and the onset of allergies so I haven't felt like I've been quite at 100%.  Anyway, time to dig into a bit of content from the last week!

On Monday things started off regularly, but after kirikaeshi and a few kihon drills we focused on hiki waza a bit.  During this time Sensei explained a bit about hitting the left kote, as well as when it is considered a valid target.  So, more for completeness sake rather than practical application, we did some work on hiki kote and striking the left kote.  What a weird feeling that was!  I'm so used to going for the right kote that it's my first reaction, so I really had to force myself to hit the other one.  I don't think I did that well with it, but I tried my best.  Being on the receiving end of this drill made me realize just how much of a tolerance to pain my right forearm has built up, because every little strike to the left side was pretty harsh.  I toughed it out, though, although I now have a nice bruise on my left forearm.

Sinclair Sensei talked to us a bit about multiple strikes on Monday, as well.  Not just kote-men or kote-do or strikes like that.  What he talked to us about were the openings BEHIND the initial attack.  Being able to see those openings that we create and capitalize on them.  The example he gave was a curtain that has been blown open briefly.  At first all you see is the curtain itself, but for the brief instant that the curtain moves you can see what's beyond it.  Likewise, with our kendo we should be able to attack and immediately recognize the next opening and attack again.  This is definitely a weak point for me, as I'm used to seeing the first opening and taking that one.  I've also noticed that this is a big difference between myself and the nidans in our dojo.  They tend to attack and then immediately follow-up afterward with another attack.  Try as I might during jigeiko that night, I was pretty unsuccessful with trying to see and attack the opening that I created.  But I'll continue to work on it.

Last night's practice was a lot of fun, although it seems that everyone was pretty tired out by the end.  We warmed up a bit, went through kirikaeshi and a few kihon drills, and then immediately went into jigeiko for the rest of the time, which amounted to about a full hour of jigeiko. I was able to practice with most of my dojo mates at least two or three times, and as I went I really tried to focus on what Sensei told us about the curtain.  Again I was not that successful but practice  makes perfect, right?

As far as work outside the dojo, I've been doing a lot of running and core exercise to build up my stamina and endurance.  I've also been focusing heavily on the footwork drills that I was given to help improve my explosiveness.  It's a long road, but I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable using both of my legs during fumikomi, instead of just one like I had a tendency to do before.  While this is all definitely beneficial for me, I'm also usually pretty tired afterward.  But it seems that, little by little, I'm able to push myself a little farther each time.  I'll hold onto this and use it as my motivation to keep going strong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the