Skip to main content

Beginning Of The New Dojo

Finally!  We are finally moved in to our new dojo!  I think I speak for everyone when I say what a relief it is to have our own dojo, and also to be back to training regularly.  It's not 100% ready, but it's good enough for us to practice in for now.  We are all excited for the new potential that we have now with our own building and all the space that we have!  But, on to the subject at hand.

Training last night, while very tiring in the 90+ degree weather, was very satisfying and I'm feeling like a lot of things I've been working on over the past few weeks are starting to come together and make sense to me.  My left foot seems to be snapping up better than before.  My shoulders feel more relaxed.  I feel like I'm eliminating a lot of wasted movement in my strikes.  And apparently I'm getting faster, which is always good. 

We started the night with drills designed around small Kote strikes, first against our partner's shinai and then against their Kote directly.  Some of the points that Sensei highlighted, which are points that he's gone over with us before were:

  • Left hand chest high
  • Wrists back and relaxed
  • No bent elbows, they should be "naturally straight"
  • Shinai tip should be in front of you.  If not it's most likely due to bent elbows.
  • When striking the kensen should recoil forward, not up.
We not only work on a straight Kote strike, but took that into our next set of drills, which dealt with hitting Kote against kenshi using Nito and Jodan.  Since their hands are up and at different angles, it takes a little different approach to hitting Kote, but the fundamentals that we went over at first still apply.  After getting warmed up and into the strikes I felt that I was actually starting to hit it correctly.  We'll see if that practice sticks, though, the next few times I fight Billy or our Nito guys.

We grabbed our Men and Kote and after some slow rounds of Kirikaeshi we jumped into Men strikes and then into a few pursuit-style drills.  I used my time to focus on not leaning into my strikes, which I think I've gotten better at, and also snapping my left foot into place as soon as possibly after the strike.  The pursuit drills we did started with two Men strikes (in a row), 3x Men, and finally Men-Kote-Men in and out of tsubazeriai.  Sensei advised me to not pause between each hit and let them flow freely, like one fluid technique.  I tried this out and felt good about it, although I do have to remember to make my swing just a bit bigger.  The Men-Kote-Men drills were fun, as I've never done them before, and I concentrated on really making that last Men strike count.  Even if I missed the first two I tried to drive forward and land that last strike.  Many times it landed; sometimes it didn't.

We went did some jigeiko before ending things out with some extended Kirikaeshi at the end.  I was put into the Yudansha group and had a good time fighting with each of my partners.  I tried to concentrate on light footwork and on relaxed wrists.  Sometimes I feel like I have a lot of things hidden inside of me that come out at certain times.  Last night was one of those times and some of the ways that I moved or struck a target really surprised even myself.  Now if I can learn how to get myself to do that all the time!

After our Kirikaeshi rounds we got to enjoy some birthday Kakarigeiko (either watching or participating in) with Marek.  He had a birthday recently and our dojo traditionally gives members a "gift" of Kakarigeiko for their birthdays.  He chose to go five rounds with some of the fastest members that we have.  Very brave on his part.

I feel good, really good, about my training right now.  I know I have a lot to work on, and once I figure one things out it opens the door to fix other things, but at this moment I feel good.  And I plan on taking these feelings and using them to push myself to improve even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the