Skip to main content

Weekend Suburi and Sushi

Short post today!

I was out sick on Wednesday, so I didn't get a chance to practice, so I was very open to the idea of getting some people together for a suburi session at the park yesterday. It's Memorial Day weekend, so we didn't have practice yesterday or tomorrow. That means one more official practice before Obukan, and I wanted to get in as much as I could before then. I put up a posting online about it, and we ended up having four people there (myself, Sean, Jeronimo and Marek).

After some fun killing time on Sean's new slack line, we decided to do the team training suburi, which is made up of nine varying suburi drills, and we decided to do fifty sets of each. They are:

-Jogeburi (big swings, all the way back to your tailbone and all the way forward as far as you can, step back as you swing back, step forward as you swing forward)
-Men (two steps forward, two steps back)
-Sayu-Men (Men strikes to the right and left side of the head, alternating, two steps forward and back)
-Tai-a Sabaki (? not sure on spelling; basically we Men in the center, but we turn our bodies for each hit, as well as alternate our footwork so right and left are in front on every other swing....hard to explain in words)
-Katate-Men (One-handed Men strikes with the left hand, no stepping)
-A striking drill resembling one of our warm-up exercises. We place our feet about twice our shoulder width and squat down while striking Kote, and then bring the shinai all the way back behind us and we rise up again, repeat
-Another drill that I don't think has a name. We place our right leg forward and bend it so that it's at a 90 degree angle with the ground, and keep our back leg straight and then do fifty Men strikes in the position. Switch legs and do fifty more
-Haya-suburi (fast-paced swinging drill. strike Men as you hop forward with proper foot position, and then bring the shinai back and you hop back into proper foot position. Very fast drill)

After a little cool down, Sean (McNally Sensei) decided we should do a little kata to finish things out for the day. We all decided to learn Kata 6. It looks very simple, but like all kata there are many subtleties to be learned and executed. One of which was not only the very, very small Kote strike the Uchidachi does, but the very, very small footwork that Shidachi does as they do Suriage Kote to counter. Definitely something I'll have to work on, but not a kata I will have to officially know how to do for a few years. Still I am of the mind that if I can learn it now I would like to. It gives me that much more time to practice it for later.

We decided to go and try out the new sushi place here in the valley, Sushi Sakai. That's another story in itself, food was hit and miss (my lunch was good, at least), and service was definitely a big miss. Ah well, like Wendy said it gave us more time to visit :D

Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the