Skip to main content

Feeling Old...

I felt very old and hindered today at practice. A few days ago I woke up and my knee felt kinda funny when I would walk and it would straighten out, and that feeling was still there for Kendo, only worse because of all the movement that we do during practice. I also still had my blister from the last practice, so I had to tape up (the tape kept moving around and rubbing my foot, too...wonderful!). Plus I forgot to take some pain reliever before I went to practice, so my shins were not doing very well by the end. I ended up having to sit out the last half hour of class due to everything. While I welcomed the break from the practice, since it was probably the hottest day of practice so far, I really, really wanted to stay in the whole time.

Today was a bit different. After a few rounds of Kirikaeshi, Sensei Sinclair stopped us and had us focus on short hits. He showed up small Men, which we were used to doing by bringing our left hand up until we could see our opponent underneath it, and then striking Men. He said for the drills we were doing today we were cut the movement in half. Instead of bringing the left hand up until we could see under it, we brought it up to about chin height before striking. I hadn't done this short of a movement yet, so the drills were very interesting. First he had to strike from one step back, and then move in to strike while in place (Kamae and then small Men). Finally he had us strike while keeping the kensen above the opponent and in position from our last hit. What a difference a few inches can make! I took the time to try and absorb this new information, so I did the drills very slowly to observe my hands, my wrists, to make sure my shoulders were relaxed, and everything else I could think of about my swing.

After everyone got used to hitting Men with these drills, we did Men strikes from To-ma distance (one step away from hitting distance). We would step in, and then Fumikomi and hit Men, but again the emphasis was on small, small Men cuts. After a few rotations of this we went into Do drills.

With though we were told to have the same feeling at the end of our hit that we did with the Men strike. Sensei went over this a few times to drill it in. Pull with the pinky and ring finger of the left hand, push with the lower part of the palm on the right hand (hard to explain in words). palm of the left hand and the bottom of the tsuka (grip), and always in contact with it through the hit. Very small movements that come from the wrist and forearm; little to no elbow movement throughout the strike. We stood one step from our opponent and stepped in to hit Do, and then went on to doing Do drills where we would hit and go through. I'm still feeling a little weird with my Do hit, but it's getting better, I think. Slowly, but it's happening. I felt a little quicker today with the hit and the follow-through. Could just be in my head, though...

This was about where I had to stop and sit out. I didn't want to tear that blister anymore, and my knee wasn't feeling too good after all the Fumikomi and the turning on it. A short post, for sure, but sometimes it's inevitable that we have to cut our practice time short so we can heal our bodies up for the next one.

A few thoughts:

Men: On the small Men strikes that Sensei was showing us, he said to be sure to hit on the downward movement of the wrists and arms, not on the way up. He pointed out that some people had a tendency to hit while their hands were on the way up. That is not good Kendo. Also most of the power is generated from the snapping of the wrists, that's how such a small movement can be so powerful. He had Sean (McNally Sensei) and Ando Sensei demonstrate small Men hits a couple of times. Wow! I hardly noticed their hands move before they hit, because their movements were super small.

Do: Same feeling as the Men strike. Small movement, the shinai doesn't have to move that much (same as Kote, which we didn't do today). All the power and movement is basically generated by the wrists; the arms just raise up slightly to get the shinai moving up and around. Small heart-shaped movement (or small "c" movement, as Wendy says"). Left hand should end up the center, same as with Kote, and should not stray from the center while moving up and down.

Here's to looking forward to Monday practice, and hopefully a better knee and no blisters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the