Skip to main content

PNKF Taikai 2019

Photo Courtesy of Kendo Photography
 Last weekend my buddy and I competed in the 45th annual PNKF Taikai.  Unfortunately we were the only ones that could attend, but we still meant to show our pride and skills on the floor for all of our dojo mates and others we've trained with.

The weekend was full of not only great kendo and competition at the tournament itself, but also the night before as we were able to join Cascade Dojo's practice and train with the locals there as well as the Hawaiian team that had flown in for the tournament.  It's always a pleasure to train with them as they have such nice, strong kendo, and I was able to get in lots of keiko with almost all of the visitors, as well as make some new friendships along the way.  The practice was relatively light so it gave us plenty of time to train, catch up, chat a bit and still be ready for the next day.

Saturday was upon us and we arrived early to the venue and warmed up with our friends from Kent and Federal Way.  My division, 4th Dan & Up, was up first, with my dojo mate going later in the afternoon.  My first match was about four matches into the bracket, and was against J. Kim from Northwest.  I'd never fought him before, or trained with him, but I had seen him around at various tournaments and events so I was somewhat familiar with him.  I do welcome new opponents and challenges, though, so I was looking forward to it.

Our match was up, and we bowed in and started.  I took my time, feeling out my new opponent and seeing what to expect and what I could possibly use to my advantage.  He was quick and attacked hard, but I was able to fight him off.  About a minute in I seized an opportunity and charged in, pressuring the right side of his men before reversing and striking the left side of his men for the first point.  We reset and I kept the pressure up but didn't rush into anything and was able to fend him off for the rest of the match to take the win.

Final Score: 1-0 (Ruiz)

My next opponent would be a bit more of a challenge, I felt.  A. Fujimoto of Team Hawaii fame.  He has competed nationally and internationally for years so I knew I'd have a hard fight on my hands.  I watched the rest of the matches and finally stepped in to face my next opponent.  One of my friends and coaches had given me some advice after my first match, telling me to close the distance after striking faster to avoid leaving myself open, so I focused on doing that as much as I could.  We exchange blows and, to my surprise, I was actually able to hold my own a bit. I had fully expected to be pointed in the first few seconds, but as the match went on I thought that maybe, maybe I could pull out a win.  Four minutes came and went and our regular match time was up.  We'd be heading into overtime.  The head judge called for "encho" and we started again.  Two more minutes came and went with both of us attacking hard, but neither of us scoring a point.  One more overtime round and we'd have to go by a judge's decision.  We restarted and came out swinging again, but again neither of us could grab a point.  At this point I knew he would probably get the decision, but I felt like a had a small victory myself, having faced such a powerful opponent and not conceding any points.  The command for judge's decision, hantei, was called and two of the three judges raised the flag for Fujimoto.  The other raised for me.  Fujimoto took the win, but again I felt like I gained a small victory for myself.  I enjoyed watching the rest of our division go, ending ultimately in a win for R. Asato from Vancouver as he took first place.  I was also able to watch some amazing matches in the other divisions, absorbing as much as I could and cheering on my various friends as they fought.  It was a full day of kendo and we still had teams later on in the day!

Final Score: 0-0 (Fujimoto by hantei)

Since we didn't have enough people from our dojo to field a team of our own, we were thrown into a mixed team.  After some last-minute shuffling we ended up with R. Atagi from Redmond, R. Asato from Vancouver, K. Acoba from Everett, myself and my dojo mate A. Rossi.  Our first match was against the team from Edmonds.  Atagi started us out strong, taking two points relatively quickly.  I was next up and, even though I gave up a point to a hiki dou, was able to continue with two points of my own to take the match and bump our lead a little more.  Asato, Rossi and Acoba followed, each posting 2-0 wins on their opponents to give us the match.  Next up - Youshinkan.

Final Score: 2-1 (Ruiz)
Team Score: 5-0 (Mixed)

Youshinkan is never an easy team to fight.  I've fought them at least three times in past tournaments, with mixed results, but they have a lot of strong players and always field a good team.  This tournament was no different.  We'd be fighting against four 5 dans, plus a 4 dan for good measure!  We definitely had our work cut out for us.  The match started and Atagi came out strong, taking a hiki men for an early lead.  Unfortunately his opponent came back strong and was able to tie and eventually take the match 2-1.  It was my turn.  I as fighting against J. Schmidt, a strong jodan fighter.  We started up and I moved cautiously but still tried to keep the pressure on him.  We traded blows to no effect for a while, as we either guarded, countered, or neutralized each other.  Schmidt came in about halfway through the match, though, as I was attacking, and caught my kote.  I had struck his men and was just hoping that I had been a bit faster.  Turns out I wasn't.  He took the point and shut me out the rest of the time, even though there were a couple close calls where I could have tied.  Asato did well, taking his match 2-0, but unfortunately it wasn't enough as we were overpowered by Youshinkan in the final two matches.  It was a hard fight, but a good one, and Youshinkan took the win.

Final Score: 1-0 (Schmidt)
Team Score: 4-1 (Youshinkan)

Mixed team is always a toss up.  Not knowing how each other fights, it's hard to effectively utilize everyone, but we had fun and gave it our all and made some new friendships.  I was able to watch the rest of the team matches, with some big upsets and surprises happening before the showdown between Youshinkan and Renbu in the finals.  Youshinkan took an early lead and never let up, ending as PNKF team champions.

All in all, a great kendo weekend.  I got to fight in some spectacular matches, I surprised even myself with some of them, and I also received a few pieces of advice to help improve and tighten up my kendo.  Looking forward to working on it all in the coming year and coming back next year to do it all over again!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the