Skip to main content

UW Taikai 2019 - Mixed Team Madness!

Photo Courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography

Last weekend a couple of us headed over to Seattle for the 43rd Annual University of Washington Invitational Taikai (UW Taikai).  We followed the normal routine of leaving Friday afternoon and training with our friends at Bellevue the night before.  The dojo was packed for that practice, even though a handful of members were gone for the Jr. Nationals going on in Georgia that same weekend.  I was able to do some practice, shiai practice and jigeiko with many, many people and ended the night tired and satisfied.

Saturday morning we headed out to the tournament.  Since there were only a couple of us we decided to forego the morning warm-ups, instead opting to warm up after lunch when our divisions were ready to go.  After opening ceremonies we both reported to our respective courts.  I was able to judge a LOT of matches that day, spanning the women's and 1-2 Dan division before being let go for lunch.  I even got to be shushin for the women's final match between Robillard and Darbyshire, both of past and present Team Canada.

After lunch I jumped straight back into shinpan duty for the 3 Dan division before being released for the 4 Dan+ divisions.  Seems they moved things up and my first match was coming up quickly!  I suited up and got in a little bit of warm-up and stepped up to the court.  My first match was against N. Grimes, from Sno-King and PNKF women's team.  What a starting match, throwing me right into the deep end!  I've been training with her a little bit recently, but she was still a force to be reckoned with.  We darted in and out, trying to connect with anything we could.  I thought I had her at one point when she stepped in to hit my doh and I stepped back slightly and delivered a strike to her head.  Unfortunately they took her doh and we reset to start again.  We fought back and forth, and again I thought I had her when I lifted up my hands and saw her take the bait for my kote.  I continued up and over my shoulder for a katsugi men attack, and saw her completely miss my kote.  Her eyes went wide for a second as my shinai came flying in at her head again, but she was able to narrowly avoid it.  The match ended when she caught me between a kote-men attack to hit my men and take the winning point. Oh well, better luck next time for me!

Final Score: 2-0 (Grimes)

I was out, so I reported back to my court to help shinpan the rest of the 4D+ division.  They used me up until the semi-finals, when they changed out for some higher ranked and more experienced judges.  All was not over for me, though, as we had team matches coming up!  My dojo mate and I were able to form a mixed team with some kids from UBC and Langara and we were ready to cause some chaos on the floor.  No one was expecting the mixed team!  I figured that we could (hopefully) cause some heartbreak from other teams discounting us.  I was...partially right.

Teams came and we were ready to go.  Our first match was against Bellevue.  They always have a pretty good team, and our Spokane team actually lost to them last year so I knew this would be a good match.  Our partners from Langara/UBC didn't have a ton of taikai experience, but they made up for it with spirit and energy, so I was looking forward to seeing what they could do.  I gave them a quick pep talk and off we went!  Our guys fought brilliantly with what they had, and we watched the matches go back and forth.  We won one, we lost one, we tied one.  We got a point up in the fourth match and then lost a point, tying out that match.  It was now down to the last match.

I was the taisho for the team and would be facing off against Shilov, a fellow yondan.  We started the match and I was surprised to see that he was not fighting in his usual nito (two swords), instead opting for one sword.  I pressed in and tried to find my openings, while also fending off his attacks.  He was very good at keeping me at bay and keeping my attacks from landing, so I started getting a little creative.  About halfway through the match, still no points, I pressured in towards his men and found my opening when he lifted his hands to block. I quickly switched and hit his kote to take the first point.  I thought that was it that I had the match, until about  seconds before the end he was able to hit my doh and tie it up.  Time ran out and we were let having to decide on who to send out for one last match, first point wins.

I walked back to my team and they were very eager to fight if I wanted them to.  "We can fight if you're too tired, Sensei!  We need you for the next match!" they said.  I appreciated their spirit, but I assured them I wasn't tired and that I could go out and fight again.  I felt I had the best chance of winning the match for them and didn't want to let them down again.  I walked back to the court line to wait for my opponent.  Bellevue discussed amongst themselves but finally sent Shilov out to fight me a second time.  We stepped in and began.

The match started much like it had the first time, with both of us searching and pressuring but neither giving up an opening.  We traded a few attacks back and forth and seemed to be at a stalemate when I was finally able t step in and hit his kote as he tried to hit my men.  I'd taken the point, the match and the win for our team.

Final Score: 1-1
Team Score: 1-1 (Mixed team by Daihyosen)

We watched the next match and found our next opponents-Kent.  I knew they would be a tough fight.  Not only did they have the skill and experience on their side, but having fought them many, many times I knew they always put up a good fight.  This match would be no different.  I bid all of my teammates good luck and god speed before the matches started.  They fought bravely but unfortunately were taken out one by one, until by the last match I was faced with four losses and no way to bring it back. I was fighting for pride at that point.

I stepped out to meet my opponent, none only then S. Day.  We joke to each other that we can't go a single tournament now without fighting each other, and this match-up just proved that point once again.  The match started and he came at me quickly with a men strike ,which I was able to block just in time.  We went back and forth a bit, both being cautious to try and not give each other any unnecessary openings.  He back out after trying to hit my men and one point and when I followed he quickly smashed my shinai out of my hand and to the ground.  I took a deep breath, picked up my shinai, and decided that I was not too happy with that outcome.  I received my penalty and when the match restarted he came flying at my again.  I was able to parry his attack, qiuckly step to the side and hit his men to take the first point.  We reset and...I got greedy.  I stepped in at him and tried to end the match quickly and he was able to catch my kote to tie it up.  We reset again, he came for my men and I blocked and hit what I though was a pretty good kaeshi doh on him.  Unfortunately the judges didn't share my thoughts, as they awarded him the men strike.  I'd given it my all there at the end but he got the better of me.  That's ok, though, I'll have a chance to fight him again next time!

Final Score: 2-1 (Day)
Team Score: 5-0 (Kent)

Kent was able to make it to the finals against UBC.  They fought well but UBC was just a bit better on that day and took first.  A great end to a fun day of competition.  I have a lot to work on from this weekend, but it was fun fighting with a new team and making some new friends and memories along the way, and I'm looking forward to training more and hopefully improving on some of the weaknesses I found in myself at the tournament!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the