Skip to main content

Active Teaching, Active Learning


Photo by G. Hoover

Most of my kendo life I've been happy and content being a student.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much a student and I don't think that will ever change.  That's part of the beauty of kendo; there's always more to learn and more to improve.  Three yeas ago, though, I started teaching the beginning class as their main instructor.  That mantle has only recently been (mostly) passed onto another member.  Here and there I would lead the other classes, as well, including our main class, where the bulk of our members come to train.  I never thought much of it, though, and would either follow a set plan or I would run basic drills and our basic format.  Most of the time I tried to follow a coherent plan of drills that would build on top of each other, i.e. kote, kote-men, then using kote-men as a counter to kote.  I also liked to build drills around a theme, such as kote drills, or counters effective for men, or other things of that nature.

Lately I've been running the main class a lot.  We have a monthly focus that we work on, but other than that it's been pretty wide open for me to run drills that are appropriate.  This has given me room to play with and one thing that keeps coming to mind are "What would benefit me?  What would benefit the group?"  From there I've been formulating classes and drills to try and answer those questions.  It's not perfect, not by far, but I feel like I'm able to incorporate some drills that we've done before that might be new for newer members, and fresh looks or a new focus on drills that we do regularly.

One thing I have been working on, and I've incorporated into drills lately, is a focus on constant readiness.  I have a habit of sometimes getting into someone's striking distance without having a real plan of action. This is dangerous for me as I find I can be taken by surprise in those situations, and surprise is one of the four sicknesses (shikai) that you will hear about at some point in your kendo journey, if you haven't already.  To combat this I've been working on being ready way before I enter, and having a plan of attack.  I've also been working on making this "plan" organic and dynamic, so I can work to adapt to how my opponent moves and reacts as I move in.  And since I've been focusing on that as one of my areas of improvement, I've become more sensitive to it when I see it in others.  With people that I train with regularly, I can see when they step in and aren't ready, and I'm able to take advantage of that most of the time.  So one of the points that I've been harping on during drills is to be ready BEFORE stepping into your hitting distance.  This can be done with just about any basic drill that we do, so it's easy to throw that extra layer in for people to think about.

Something I've noticed a lot of our members doing, but I don't necessarily do myself, is gyaku do.  Maybe I don't do it often because I'm not good at it, or maybe because I can't find or create a good opening for it.  Or, rather, a combination of both is probably closer to the truth.  I've been on the receiving end of a lot of missed gyaku do, though, but instead of shutting it down and telling them to stop doing it, I've incorporated a bit of time to practice it in a controlled environment in the hopes that they will improve.  I've given some basics on how to approach, strike, and follow through, and over the past few practices I've actually seen a lot of improvement.  I feel like having the attitude of "Let's improve this together," instead of "Don't do that" will hopefully encourage growth rather than discourage and cause stagnation in their techniques.

All of this has been peppered with a healthy does of advice from the teachings of our dojo.  One of our regular points to consider has always been, "Only do a technique as fast as you can do it correctly," and I've done my best to try and pass this on when I can.  Speed can be built later, but proper technique and movement should always be more important, in my opinion.

This is only one example among many examples of thoughts about teaching, but it's working for me for now.  I not only get to present my ideas and thoughts and share what I've learned as it relates to different drills and techniques and areas of improvement, but I also get the benefit of growing along with the members, both as a student and as a teacher. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the