Skip to main content

The Ups and Downs of Kendo

Photo courtesy of Kendo Photography
 
Anyone that knows me knows that I love kendo.  I don't think I could do as much as I do with it if I didn't.  But loving kendo doesn't mean that it's easy.  Far from it, in fact!  If anyone says otherwise I would honestly question if they're doing it right.  From the first day where everything is brand new, to years down the road where you're trying to figure out the mental side of things, it's a challenge.

I've often had times when I just wasn't getting something.  Whether it was a new waza, or a new timing for an existing waza, or any other number of things that came up during training, sometimes things didn't click with me, and I would have many, many practices that felt fruitless.  It seems that every time that happened, though, If I kept at it and practiced, it would eventually click with me.  I'd wake up one day and "get it".  Not to say I'd be perfect at it, but the overall shape or timing would suddenly be there.  It reminds me of a time from when I was a kid and used to skate a lot.  There was this certain trick I was trying to learn, and I practiced it for months and couldn't do it.  Then one day I went down to my usual haunt and tried it again and suddenly I could do it.  It made sense to me, and ever since then I was able to do that specific trick really well.  This is the same feeling I have with kendo here and there.

Let's take harai men, for example.  I used to always have to do it on two steps - one step to perform the harai movement and one step to actually strike.  Even during kihon kata three, which requires the whole movement and strike be done as one fluid technique, I had trouble and always felt rushed to try and fit all the sword movement into that one step.  I practiced every time, though, and one day I figured out how to do the entire technique in one movement without feeling strained or rushed.  Just the other day I felt like I took it to another level, still, as I was able to do the harai movement, the strike, and add in a lot of speed while still maintaining good posture and footwork.

Everything that I've struggled with in the past, and will struggle with in the future, is part of the process.  It gives me a bit of comfort to think that everyone I know and look up to has been through this same process, and they came out stronger and better for it.  It really does feel like we're being tempered in fire during practice sometimes, and I'm sure a lot of others would agree with me on that (especially during the summer!).

I consider myself pretty optimistic when faced with issues on the dojo floor, but I know I could very easily take that in another, more negative direction, and I've had times where that has happened.  I'd get to the dojo and feel good before practice, but after we'd start sometimes I would feel like nothing was working and I did't know why or what to do about it.  I've had a lot of moments like that and every once in a while the pressure breaks me a bit and I end up leaving in a bad mood.  It happens to everyone, and when it does I try not beat myself up over it, but look back at it after I've calmed down and see what went wrong and what I can do better next time.  This constant check and review helps me to stay on track and continue to try and improve.  I also use this process when I lose matches, which happens often!  As long as I can look back and find something to work on, it's worth it and helps to enrich and improve my own kendo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the