Skip to main content

The Kendo Grind


Lately I've been wanting to write a new post, but I just have had no real inspiration.  Since the last time I wrote, about the Kent Taikai, I've pretty much just had my nose down to the grindstone at my local dojo.  So, why not write about that?  So here we go.  Apologies in advance to anyone else reading this, I might start rambling.

Ever since I passed sandan last year, I've been thinking "what's next?"  I'm always trying to look forward and see what I have to improve, what I have to do, to get to the next level.  I believe that kendo is a lifelong journey; one that never ends.  So I try to reflect that in my training.  I can find small victories in breakthroughs I make, or fixing problems that I had, but I always want to keep looking forward and looking how to improve even more.  My thoughts since the sandan shinsa have revolved around "what do I need for yondan," or, more specifically, "What do I need to be the best yondan I can be, so that when the time comes to test again I can show everyone that I'm already there."  It's never too early to start preparing for the future, right?

After talking with Sinclair Sensei, I've received more insight on my hip/shoulder dip issue, so now I'm going back to the drawing board with my footwork.  I have a tendency have too narrow a stance, and that is causing my hips to turn, which then puts more pressure on them as I move and which then leads to me turning/dipping my shoulder.  So, all of these issues are stemming from that one point and I know I'll definitely need to fix that for the test (immediate goal) and for the rest of my kendo training (long-term goal).  A beautiful stance and posture is important to me so I've been taking extra time when I can to work on this, almost going back to the basics with my footwork and concentrating on widening out my stance and squaring my hips.  It's slow-going but I'm starting to feel a little more comfy with the wide stance.  I should clarify, though, that "wide" doesn't mean uncomfortably so.  I have very broad shoulders and so my stance has to adjust to match that.

Another thing I've been working on, and this was actually even before my sandan test, was moving and striking with purpose.  I've never been one to attack without thinking about it, as I've mentioned before, but I really want to refine that and make sure that everything I'm doing has a purpose.  This is a another step in me eliminating wasted movement in my technique.  Why should I move or strike if there was nothing behind it?  If someone were to ask me why I stepped to the side, or why I pressed in, or why I went for men/kote/etc, I should have an immediate answer for them.  I'm not there yet, not even close, but this is often my focus during training.  During drills I always try and think about what I'm doing and try to do it to the best of my ability, and make sure each strike "counts" during multiple strike drills.  Likewise in jigeiko.  This has led to me being struck more often than before, but that's ok.  If my partner hits me twelve times and I only hit them once or twice because I was focusing on this skill I'm ok with that.  That's why we practice, right?

As far as actual techniques, I've been trying to take some of the strikes and movements and techniques that I'm terrible at right now and purposely practice them more.  I'm hoping to take some of those weaknesses I have and, in time, turn them into strengths.  I've always believed in being well-rounded and to do that I need to be comfortable using a variety of techniques at a moment's notice.  I've also been talking with Ando Sensei about some specifics which, for now, I'll keep to myself.  I have to have some secrets.

So, while nothing life-changing or awe-inspiring has been happening lately, its ok.  I understand that the grind is part of the process, and hopefully sooner or later others will start seeing the fruits of my grinding labor.  And, honestly, if you can't learn to love the grind then you are going to have a bad time with whatever it is you pursue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the