Skip to main content

Boise

This past week I was in Boise for work.  It was a nice trip, made many times better by the fact that I was able to train with Stroud Sensei and the local members of the kendo club there.  For anyone that doesn't know, Stroud Sensei is Kyoshi 7 dan in kendo and Renshi 6 dan in iaido.  Since I don't practice iaido it was the kendo instruction I was most interested in.  And instruction I got...

Wednesday night was practice at BSU and there were about 6 of us there that night, ranging from brand new beginner up to 4 dan.  After warm-ups, we worked a lot on footwork, doing various drills up and down the dojo floor while adding in lots of kiai.  Afterward we went into basic striking drills, building on each one with lots of spirit, emphasis on good footwork and striking with our body, not just our hands (one of my weaknesses, as I found out).  We then suited up in full bogu and continued our drills, doing a drill that involved striking various targets in order, and adding more and more complexity as we rotated around.  By the end we were striking about a dozen different targets on each pass.  Kakarigeiko was next, with us being motodachi (receivers) for the kyus and then being motodachi and kakarite (attacker) with each other.  I pushed hard to make it through all of the rotations, even though by the end I was only able to step in and strike men over and over.  After a brief pause to catch our breath we partnered up again and finished out the night with jigeiko.  I think the highlight of my practice was being able to do jigeiko with one of the Atagi brothers, Rhett.  I'd never fought with him before so it was a great opportunity for me, and even though he blasted my men and kote over and over I tried keeping the pressure up and striking when I was ready.  I was able to get one or two strikes in, but that's all.  Still, it was a good practice and one I was thankful for.

Friday night I was able to practice with the group again, this time at a different location and with a lot more people.  The class was about half beginners and half of us in bogu.  I saw a couple of the same faces as I did on Wednesday, but also a few more kyus and yudansha came out, including the other Atagi brother (who is also 4 dan).  The format was very similar to class on Wednesday, with some kata thrown in for good measure.  I received some advice and corrections to take with me to work on, including my kamae in kata 5, and my kodachi position in kodachi kata 2.  I also received some interesting insight into kata 3 that I hadn't heard before, about where the shidachi's tip goes during the movements.  Again, something I will be adding into my own kata practice from now on.

It was a joy to practice with both Atagi brothers.  Both of them are very good, and struck me left and right, but I still persisted and tried to show good spirit and good movement of my own.  Even though I hardly got any strikes in of my own, it was a great experience.  I also got to do jigeiko with some new people that night, one of which was a 3 kyu with a pretty amazing debana kote.

All in all I had a great experience training with the Idaho group, and I'm very much looking forward to training with them all again, whether it be at their dojo, here at my own dojo, or somewhere else on a taikai or shinsa trip.  Some of the advice that I received from Stroud Sensei that I will be working on, as well:

-Use my hips and legs more for striking, not just my arms and upper body.
-Don't let my shinai fly up after I strike.  Instead it should move forward.  This could also be tied into using my hips and legs more, per Stroud Sensei.
-Be careful of my feet when I am doing footwork.  I have a tendency to narrow my stance as I move.
-During hayasuburi, kick forward more with the back leg.  Movement should be forward and back, not bouncing up and down, and I should be using the back leg to drive my body forward.
-I had a lot more advice, as well, but I think this is a good starting point.  Plus I can't give away all of my secrets quite yet.

Again, thank you to the Boise/Idaho members for having me at their trainings, and I am looking forward to meeting them all again in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the