Skip to main content

Positive Spirit

Hello 2015!  We're a few weeks in and I can already tell that this year is going to be great, kendo-wise.  I feel solid and more confident, and I'm excited for the improvements I'm working on and the opportunities that I have before me this year.  There's a lot of exciting events coming down the pipe!

One thing that was brought up this weekend was keeping up a positive spirit throughout practice.  This is something we've talked about over the years, but it really came to light for me recently.  Partly because this is going to be a main focus of mine this year.  I decided that instead of working on mastering this technique, or working on that with my footwork/bodywork etc, I'm going to focus on having a positive spirit this year.  It can make all the difference during practice, and can help to not only raise yourself up and improve your own training, but also raise the room and its members up and help them give their best.  Sinclair Sensei is correct in saying that if you have a positive spirit it will help to improve everything else about your kendo.  So, this year will be the year that I have a positive spirit throughout!

We've been working on kata a lot lately, as we do semi-annually.  I love the in-depth study that we do during these times, and no matter how many times I perform a kata or study it on my own I always end up learning something new.  This time, with my upcoming sandan test next month, I've been focusing a lot on the kodachi kata.  I'd learned the steps to them before, but it's been fun really diving into the meat of what they are and what makes them work.  I'd been struggling with kodachi kata three, in particular, over the past couple months, but lately it's been clicking in my mind.  Now I'm having troubles with the counter in kodachi kata one.  From one end to the other!  But I feel like my problem is two-fold:  I move too soon, and I also step too far to the side.  I need to remember that I need to move only enough to slip past uchidachi's strike so that I can get inside their space and deliver a strike of my own.  And I need to be confident in the block and counter, so that I don't move too early.  This will be my focus during the next month.

Training has been great lately.  It seems that whether we have a big turnout or small, the spirit and intensity in the room is huge.   Must be something in the water, but everyone seems to be bringing their best to the table.  What's awesome for me is it has motivated me to step things up a bit and give my best.  I did have a nasty tumble last week which slowed me down a bit, but this week I feel good as new again.  I've been focusing on having a purpose in my strikes, and being more picky and choosy about when and what I strike.  I believe I've mentioned it before, as I get struck more, but I also feel like my seme, sutemi and zanshin have all been heightened by attacking on purpose.  In addition to that I've been playing with some different "styles" of play.  As a constant student of kendo, I watch a lot of videos.  Of my own dojo members.  Of others in our federation, and even of others around the world.  I've seen all kinds of styles, all of which have been affected, and I've been inserting those into my own practice, to see what works for me and what doesn't, and what I like and don't like.  For example, Saturday practice I tried to have the mindset of being a wall.  Never backing up, always pressuring forward and trying not to give in to my opponents.  Monday night I switched it up a bit, made my footwork more active and tried to move more fluidly.  I likened my mindsets during those two practices to a tidal wave (Saturday) and a river (Monday).  The "tidal wave" mindset was definitely more in line with how I usually fight, but adding more fluidity to my footwork and movement is something I'd like to incorporate.

I was made aware of a pattern that I fall into with my movement, which has definitely been something I've done unwittingly.  Instead of eliminating it, though, I want to work on doing it on purpose, if I do it at all.  It's something that I'll want to incorporate for different situations, so being mindful of it is the first step.  I'm thankful I was made aware of it, though.  Now that I'm aware of it I can definitely start using it to my advantage.  And use it to my advantage, I will!  At least to the best of my ability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the