Skip to main content

Fast and Slow

 So I've had some thoughts on my mind lately, regarding my techniques.  Even though I'm just coming to these realizations, I remember that these are things that Sinclair Sensei has mentioned to us (and me) time and time again.  It's funny how things can be brought up and taught over and over, and yet it doesn't truly sink in until you are ready to hear it and receive that knowledge.  That is what happened to me over these last few weeks, regarding speed.

It started with hiki waza.  I'll be the first to admit, my hiki waza is not great, and I definitely need to work on it.  This last week or so I've been focusing on hiki waza as much as I can.  Something occurred to me, though, as I would strike and fly back, only to reset and do it again.  Most of my strikes were not hitting the target, and even when they did they were sloppy.  Too shallow, too soft, no snap to them.  It was like I was just flinging my shinai out there and hoping it would hit.  I finally figured out what I was doing that was so wrong.  I was going too fast.

Now, I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as too fast in kendo, but on the flip side of that the speed that's generated needs to be natural.  It needs to be effortless, and that only comes through training and training and training (in my opinion).  What I was doing was trying to force "unnatural" speed into my technique, which was totally wrecking it.  I was setting myself up for failure from the beginning without even realizing it.  I then stepped back up and focused on just doing proper technique without any unnatural speed injected into it and I was able to hit the target, and hit it well, the majority of attempts.  The strike was still plenty quick enough, but it was the natural speed that I had built into it by practicing it for all of these years.  So, in addition to the things that I'm currently focusing on, I have a renewed focus on not trying to produce artificial speed and just let the natural speed that I've created carry my techniques through.  This doesn't mean that I don't think there's a time and place for pushing myself and trying to be as fast and quick as possible; there definitely is, and it's always good to push those boundaries occasionally to see how far I've progressed.  My main focus will be on the techniques themselves and not on the speed, and try to be more conscious of it going forward.  Again, funny how things that I've heard and known about choose to hit me right in the face when I am ready to acknowledge them!

In other kendo news, we've been doing a lot of shinpan practice at our dojo lately.  It's a nice shift and good to refresh what I know about being a shinpan and also cover some new ground with it.  Also I'm glad for the practice, because my shinpan skills are lacking at the moment.  It's definitely a new world!  Not only do I have to move as a unit with other people, but I have to pay attention to the commands and my body posture and how I use the flags and, oh yeah, there are competitors on the floor that I'm watching, too!  Some advice that we've gotten that's really helped me is to put ourselves in the match, with the competitors.  This helps immensely when I'm trying to keep and eye on both participants and watch for points and issues that arise.  One thing that I've tried to stay consistent at, personally, is making a decision.  If I am going to fail, I want to fail with confidence. This is definitely something I need more practice at, but I feel good about the base I've developed so far, however basic it may be.  

So, in closing, being a shinpan is hard!  There are so many new things to think about and consider and learn, on top of actually having to call the points and penalties fairly and accurately.  As far as my kendo goes, the unnatural speed is wrecking my technique in a lot of ways.  Whether I'm doing it on purpose or unintentionally, it's something that I'll need to eliminate in order to let my best shine through.  There is a time and place for going all out and trying to push the speed limit, but in everyday practice I'll try and build that speed naturally from now on so that it's as much as a comfortable part of the technique as everything else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the