Skip to main content

Layers and Curtains

Kendo is an interesting art.  There's not much to it, physically.  The footwork and attacks are all relatively simple, compared to some other martial arts out there.  There's a handful of different movements and even less targets and attacks, but all is not what it seems.  Kendo is about layers and curtains.  You peel back one layer, peek behind another curtain, and all of a sudden there's more than you first realized.  A men strike is a men strike is a men strike, but it can mean vastly different things depending on if you are a beginner, upper kyu, or upper dan.  I love this aspect of kendo.  Easy to learn, difficult to master, and when you think you've got one thing down you discover another dimension to it which makes you see it in a whole new light and gives you more to think about and practice.

This mindset comes up to me all the time, as a lot of the advice and instruction I get are things that I've heard before.  Maybe not in the same way, but along the same lines.  It seems, though, that each time I hear it, or practice it, there's more going on, or there's something else to add to it to make it stronger.  When I learned to strike men, I focused only on what my hands were doing.  I thought about the correct structure of my swing, about hitting the target correctly and accurately, and about using tenouchi to give it that nice snappy feeling.  When I felt comfortable with that, I began to think about my body and what it was doing.  What are my feet doing when I strike?  What about my upper body?  Am I leaning?  Am I moving from my center or are my arms leading my movement?  So many new things to consider once I got down the actual motion of hitting men!  Now when I strike men, a lot of my thoughts are on my pressure on my opponent, or his/her pressure on me.  Is there an opening to be taken?  Can I create an opening from my current position?  Can I even hit them from here if given the chance, or do I have to adjust my distance?  In my own examples here, I can see many, many layers that are being built upon one another to make one single men strike.  I also know that there will be many more layers added upon what I have already built in the years to come.

Layers are not only present in practice and jigeiko, but they also show up in kata.  We have been studying kata again lately at the dojo and a lot of what I'm focusing on now involves distancing, timing, and my connection with my partner.  Before my mind was filled with the physical movements themselves and making sure I had those right.  Now that the basic "shape" of the kata are burned into my memory, I'm free to turn my concentration to other aspects and to explore the kata and begin making them more robust.  The kodachi kata, in particular, is where our focus has been, and I'm glad to have this time to bring them up to par with the first seven kata that I have learned and to bring them all, as a whole, up to new levels through this practice and focus on different aspects.

We've also been going over some interesting things at the dojo lately.  Not any one strike or technique in particular, but rather what happens before, during, and after.  We've been breaking these three pieces down and building them back up, and I've found that I definitely need to work on the "after" part of my attacks.  This seems to be my weakest link, due to footwork breaking down, or my kiai ending too early, etc.  I'll try and remember this in the coming weeks so I can really focus on it.  Next up, I would say that my "during" needs some work, as I'm not always as accurate as I'd like to be.  Also I still need to work on relaxing and using strength right at the very end, like Stroud Sensei has shown me a couple times now.  I've done a lot to build up my kamae, and the "before" my attack, so I feel like at this point that is my strongest area.  At least for now, for where I'm at in my training.  I'm looking forward to breaking it down and building it up again once I get to that next layer, or when I pull back that next curtain to reveal what's waiting behind it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the