Skip to main content

Highline Taikai 2014

Photo courtesy of T. Patana
Ok, so the whole "keeping this updated regularly" idea is failing right now.  I do apologize to anyone else that reads this for not keeping up.  I have a lot of things going on right now that are taking up my small portion of free time these days.




That being said, I do have an update!  Our Spokane Kendo Club participated in the 2014 Highline Taikai this past weekend.  I've always enjoyed this tournament for it's friendly atmosphere and small dojo.  It always makes me feel like I'm reconnecting with old friends for a weekend of fun.  This is second year that they have included a 1-2 Dan division, as well, so it was fun to compete and rub elbows with some old and new friends.

The day started off well, with a couple of our mudansha competing in their division.  One of them had his very first taikai experience, and was able to get his feet wet with some real live competition.  I think he learned a lot and will hopefully use that experience to the best of his abilities.  Our other competitor in the mudansha division did really well and displayed great technique and basics and was able to make it to the quarter finals before his run ended.  Both of them did extremely well under the tournament pressure and it was nice to see good quality kendo from both of them.

The 1-2 Dan division began around noon, and we had, as is typical for this tournament, a round-robin grouping wherein we were placed in groups of 3-4 and would fight amongst all the other people in our group until two winners were determined.  The top two competitors would move on to the medal rounds.  My first opponent was a guy that I was somewhat familiar with but never had the pleasure of fighting until that day.  Lui from OSU.  We started the match and I began a bit cautiously, as I knew he was very good. I pressed in a bit to see what reactions I could get, and then struck when I thought I had the opening.  Turns out I didn't get the kote but I was able to move in fast enough to avoid a counter.  We fought back and forth a bit before I was finally able to take the one and only point in the match; suriage men.  I'd been working on that technique for quite a while, and was happy to be able to pull it out in the heat of the match.  We reset and both fought well, but even though my opponent landed a few strikes that I thought were good and should have scored, the match ended with me still having the advantage.

Final Score: 1-0 (Ruiz)

My next opponent was from Bellevue, C Kim.  I had caught glimpses of him from the Friday practice with Bellevue so I had a good idea of what to expect.  We bowed in and started the match, and I immediately noticed an opening and went for it.  I was able to land a quick men strike from the start to take the first point and the lead.  After resetting we fought a bit and I tried to take my time and not do anything to give him an opening, while also trying to find or create another opening of my own.  We fought for a good while, back and forth, before I was able to open up his men for another point and the match.

Final Score: 2-0 (Ruiz)

I had made it out of our group, sitting in the first spot.  My next opponent was Bogucharov, from Bellevue. I had fought him and barely pulled out a win last year, so I was curious to see how things would play out this time with us both having more time and experience under our belts.  We bowed in and the match started.  I pressed in early, and went for his kote.  He was ready for it and countered with men, but I moved in quick enough to avoid giving him the opening.   We both stepped back and I pressured in again.  This time he went for my kote.  I launched a quick nuki men that found its mark and gave me the first point.  We reset and fought back and forth again. I ended up stepping out at one point during hiki do.  I didn't hear the call so I thought I had gotten the point and when he rushed in I quickly stepped to the side and landed a nice hiki men that popped its target.  Too bad it was all in vain because they had already called me out of bounds seconds before that!  We reset again and after a flurry of debana kotes (none of which found their mark) I was able to pressure in and hit men again for the final point and the match.

Final Score: 2-0 (Ruiz)

I'd made it to the quarter finals.  Just a few more matches and victory would be mine!  Standing in my way, though, was a  petite Japanese girl by the name of Oya.  I'd watched her match with one of my friends right before mine and saw that she was very quick, very good and would take me out in a heartbeat if I let her.  We bowed in and started the match, and she immediately sprang up and came at me.  I stepped back a couple of times and barely had time to block her initial men strike.  Again I realized that this was not going to be an easy match at all.  I fought back and kept her at bay as best I could, and for a while neither of us could land a good attack on the other.  That changed when I pressured in and launched a men strike against her, which she was ready for.  She countered with debana kote to take the first point.  We reset and I fought hard, trying to win back the point.  It looked like I was going to lose it, until second before time was called I snuck under her shinai and landed a kote to tie things up.  Shortly after we reset again, time was called.  We were going into overtime!  We started again and both fought hard for a few seconds, but she side-stepped me and launched another quick men that connected, giving her the point and the win.

Final Score: 2-1 (Oya in encho)

Oya went on to win our division, defeating her opponent in the finals by 2-0.  I didn't place in that tournament, but I didn't feel bad, either.  I demonstrated my best kendo and I felt that I kept the quality high all throughout my matches.  I genuinely felt, at the end of the day, that the kendo I brought outshined any wins or losses that I had that day.  I have been putting in a lot of extra training these past couple months and I feel that it showed.  I had better footwork, better body posture and movement, and a much improved men strike. I hope to keep up this tempo and improvement, branching out to fix some other issues that I noticed during the weekend and previously in my training.  For the day, though, I felt like I might not have won the tournament, but I definitely won in kendo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the