Skip to main content

The Red Line

This week of training has had its ups and downs.  Monday I got to the dojo and felt ok, albeit a little tired.  Once training started, though, I realized that my legs were sore.  Super sore.  It made for a very tough practice, as we worked on footwork quite a bit at the beginning before going into the rest of our class.  Since we only had six people, myself included, practicing that night we had a little different format and took things a bit slower.  It definitely helped me make it all the way through, but even then at the end of class I felt like my legs were going to fall off.  I can't imagine how I would have fared if we had done a more intense practice.  During jigeiko I really focused on not backing up and not crumbling when facing my partners.  I tried to keep an "always forward" attitude and feel to my technique that night.

Last night we didn't have an extremely large class.  I think there were ten of us altogether, but seven of us were yudansha so we kicked it up a notch for training.  We all warmed up and did suburi and kirikaeshi together and then we broke into smaller groups for uchikomi practice.  We've done this a few times lately and it gives me a different perspective on the drills.  Instead of being part of a big, rotating line of people, I'm able to do my practice and then step back more frequently to watch the rest of my group go through their strikes and techniques before jumping back in for my turn.  I appreciate the new information or outlook that I get by doing these kinds of practices, and it's really good to be able to see my dojo mates and how they move and strike.  How does Seth strike kote so well?  How is Billy so fast with that men strike?  What small tells do they have, or don't have, when they are moving to strike?  There's a lot of benefit to watching and learning through watching, and I've heard before that this is called mitori-geiko.  We worked on a lot of oji-waza last night.  My strongest ones were debana kote and nuki men, which I do use quite often in jigeiko and in matches.  My kaeshi dou still leaves much to be desired.  I think it's gotten progressively worse, actually, since I hardly ever use it.  I can definitely use it and it's effective, to a point, but the setup and timing are lost on me sometimes when faced with faster partners and opponents.  It's definitely something I'll have to work on more if I want to make it a viable technique to use.

Sinclair Sensei brought up a good point on Monday, and it's one that Wendy reinforced with us last night.  He said to think of a canvas.  A blank canvas, ready for you to create a masterpiece.  Every day you see the canvas and draw a red line on it.  At first the line is faint, light, but it's there.  Each day you add another layer of paint on the line, and the color becomes deeper, richer, and more pronounced.  This is what happens when we show up and push ourselves at practice.  Each time we come and work on improving ourselves we are making that line darker and richer.  But when we show up and just go through the motions, or we don't show up at all, we can actually end up taking layers off of that paint, so that it starts to become lighter and faded again. What this means to me is that each day I show up I should work to improve myself.  If I can't improve myself physically, because of an injury of some issue I'm having that day, I should work on improving my spirit, or my form, or any other number of things that don't require much physical effort, or that will isolate those parts that I can't quite work on at the moment.  There's always a way to improve and to push myself, and I should be hungry to make that line as deep and dark and rich with color as I can.

Comments

  1. Hi Chris, nice to read on your continued progress. My leg's treating me better these days and my fysio guy tells me there's no real damage. :)

    > We worked on a lot of oji-waza last night.
    > My strongest ones were debana kote and nuki men,

    To be honest, debana waza is not oji waza. It's shikake waza :)

    -> http://www.renshinjuku.nl/2013/10/waza-explained/

    Unlike oji waza, which are "go no sen", debana waza is "sen no sen": acting while the opponent's technique is starting or in progress, as opposed to when the opponent's technique has finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I caught that after I wrote it. I know in one part of my head that it's shikake waza, but there's still another part that always wants to call it oji waza.

    Glad to hear that you're doing well over there, and there's there's no damage to your leg!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the