Skip to main content

Cornerstones

I heard a saying a while ago, and I've talked about it here before, but it's something that deserves bringing up every now and again.  "Kendo is eighty percent footwork, and twenty percent swordwork."  Along with basics, this has always been a key focus for me and even though I don't have the prettiest footwork or body carriage right now I do my best to work on it and make it the best that I can.  I hold onto the belief that you can have the most beautiful and effective sword strikes in the world, but if you don't have the footwork to get you to the target then it won't mean a thing.

We've been focusing a lot on footwork lately, doing some old and new drills and even doing some ladder drills, which have proven to be interesting and very entertaining.  The main focus has been on short, quick steps.  We're not trying to cover a long distance with each step and getting from one end of the dojo to the other the fastest isn't the point.  Each step should be smooth, quick and snappy, and there should be a lot of small steps instead of a few large steps, if that makes sense.  While these have been a killer on my hips, I can see progress being made and improvement when I'm doing other drills.  Also, the hips don't seem to be keeping me out for long these days.  I do have to step out every once in a while to stretch them, especially after our intense footwork drills lately, but I'm usually ready to go again a rotation or two later.  As long as I keep on top of them at the dojo and at home I hope to get rid of all the pain and soreness one of these days, just like I did with my shins.

Technique-wise, I'm still ironing out my kote, as well as working on some new oji waza.  I'd like to take some of those techniques that I'm not good at and shy away from and turn them into strengths.  I definitely don't have a shortage of techniques to work on, either!  Along with the footwork and techniques, I've also been working on being more explosive, especially when I strike and move past my partners.  I was recently given a bit of insight by one of my dojo mates, and have been using it to give my follow-through a completely different feel.  It's hard work, but it will be worth it when I can start doing it without even thinking.

I was able to talk to my sensei a couple weeks ago about what it means to be nidan in our dojo, and some ideas on where to take my kendo at this point.  One of the points that came up again was my endurance and conditioning, especially my joint health (see hips, above).  While still a weak point for me, I've been working to improve it by running and exercising outside of the dojo, as well as changing my eating habits a few months ago (still hit or miss on that one, but it's better these days).  I was also given some suggestions on how to help my breathing in practice, because I have noticed for a while now that my breathing is very inefficient and definitely detracts from my performance at practice.  It's nice to have all these things to work on and keep me busy!

Our next tournament, the UW Taikai, is just over a week away.  I don't know if I'll have anything shocking and head-turning under my belt by that time, but I can feel the improvements in myself.  Little by little, step by step, that's how this lifelong journey will go, and someday I'll look back and realize that I just climbed a mountain with all those little steps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the