Skip to main content

Spokane Japan Week 2012

Photo by C. Parsons

Last weekend was the opening ceremony of our annual Japan Week here in Spokane.  All week there are fun things going on all over town for people to participate in and learn more about all things Japanese.  This year our dojo shook things up a bit by hosting a dinner at our dojo the night before the opening ceremony, as a kind of "grand opening" of our new location.

The fun with dinner kicked off a week prior, when we were told that there were about sixty people signed up for dinner (not including kendo members).  We were all pretty happy hearing that, but in a couple of days that number doubled to around 120, and then finally when the day came we were sitting at 200 people and counting!  I think we exceeded any goals that we had for dinner.  We had planned not only a dinner but various martial arts and taiko demonstrations during the time, as well as some other fun things such as door prizes and a movie afterward for anyone that wanted to stay.

My biggest concern was how we were going to fit that many people into our dojo and still have floor room enough to do the demos, but when I arrived on Friday to help out I saw that Sensei already had that taken care of with the tables and the layout.  I would have to say that even though this was our first attempt at something like this, and despite a few minor hiccups, everything came together pretty smoothly.  Dinner was catered by one of our local sushi restaurants and was delicious, and taiko drumming and flute playing carried on throughout dinner.  Spokane Taiko performed wonderfully and set the tone for the rest of the evening, which included demos for karate (Doshinkan), iaido, and kendo.

We took our turn on the floor last, and after kata and a few drills to show the basic strikes and some more advanced drills we broke up for jigeiko.  I had the pleasure of fighting against a nito kenshi and did my best to put on the best show I could for the crowd.  I got hit a lot, it felt like, but I also landed a couple of great strikes, including a do strike early on.  We finished up, bowed out, and changed to help with clean-up.  Again, I believe that our dinner went off pretty smoothly and I look forward to hopefully doing it again next year!

Saturday brought with it the opening ceremony for Japan Week, at the mall.  This year I was part of the walk-in, which included people from all of the various events that would be going on.  Afterward I had a chance to sit back and watch the other demonstrations, which included more taiko, karate, dancing, iaido, and probably a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment.  When it was our time we stepped into the circle and went over pretty much the same format as we did the night before, with a few subtle changes.  This time we had more people, including some friends from Mukogawa, and some people that weren't in armor.  I think that we had a good mix of younger and older, male and female in our group this year and from what I saw things went pretty smoothly.  We all did our best and I hope that the crowd enjoyed our kendo.  I know that I made some new friends, saw some old friends, and put my best kendo on display for all to see, and I look forward to being able to come back next year!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the