Skip to main content

Homecoming

Last night marked the return of our members that competed at the AUSKF National Championships, which are held every three years.  This year we had five guys from Spokane that went and competed. Results can be found here, butt they definitely don't tell the whole story.  I heard that our guys, and PNKF as a whole, fought with a lot of energy and courage, and definitely turned some heads and made people take notice.  I'm proud to be a part of such a strong area and I plan on doing everything I can to make it to the next championship tournament, in 2014.

The energy was high in the dojo, and I think everyone could tell.  The team guys were on fire and were getting everyone else pumped up during practice, and I really felt the Kendo bar raise last night.  After warm-ups we worked a bit on Kote, specifically on striking on different "planes."  Instead of striking Kote by coming straight up and down and moving our bodies into position, we worked on stepping straight forward and striking on a diagonal plane.  Sensei warned us to be careful with practicing this technique as most of us aren't used to moving our wrists like that, so he advised us to start out slow so that we get the correct movement and muscle memory going and then after a while (when we're used to it and our wrists are used to it) striking with the speed and snap needed for a good strike.  After just a few drills with it I can tell that I'm going to like it...

We moved on into full bogu and set out with Kirikaeshi and then Men strikes.  On my Men drills I practiced coming up only high enough so that I could get a good down/forward motion and snap to the hit and then pushing forward with the cut.  Next up was Kote, and we practiced striking on that diagonal plane we had done earlier and then closing the distance (not following all the way past).  I did an ok job with it after I stopped hit all of my partner's tsuba, but with Billy I wasn't able to close the distance fast enough and he would end up doing Hiki Men on me to show me that I need to be faster.

Sensei had us do a few Do drills next, which was a welcome change.  I haven't done much with Do lately, and I've been trying to get the wrist movement down so I can really strike with speed after bringing my shinai around.  I've also been striking to strike going forward, with the shinai in front of me before stepping to the side.  Hard to explain in words, but it's coming along.

Our practice was a bit short tonight, as we finished out the night with some extended jigeiko.  I had a chance to fight a couple of the team guys, as well as some other Yudansh and Mudansha, since we kept the group mixed.  I had a great time fighting both Seth and Dan (both of whom fought at nationals last weekend).  Even though they beat me up pretty well I felt like I was able to somewhat keep up with them, as well as pick out and strike at openings easier than I ever have.  I carried this into my other matches and really felt like I was able to see those openings better.  Ever since I got back from the shinsa I have felt different.  Better.  I feel like I improved a bit over that weekend and instead of relaxing in my new rank I'm pushing even harder to get ready for the next rank, as well as to get myself ready and into a position where I can put up a good fight for the PNKF team in a few years.

I had some very encouraging words from Sensei and Billy after class, and I feel so good, so inspired, with my Kendo at this point in time.  I feel like I'm on the right track, and the possibilities for the future are wide open for me to improve. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the