Skip to main content

Faster

It hasn't been that long since I've had training, less than a week, but for some reason last night felt like my first time back in a while.  Probably due to the fact that we didn't have training on Saturday downtown, or at all last week in the valley.  Instead we had a demonstration for the opening ceremony of Japan Week here in Spokane.  I will hopefully have pictures to post later, but for now onto last night's practice!

Sensei had us start out with a few interesting drills.  We stood in a big circle after our normal warm-ups, and we would begin a clap.  At first he would clap once and then the next person over would clap as fast as they could after him, and so on, until we made it around the circle.  The next version involved Sensei clapping twice, in rhythm, and the next person over would begin their first clap on his second clap, and we would keep that rhythm going all the way around the circle.  After a few failed attempts and some laughs we finally were able to get through both of these drills relatively successfully.  This would serve to help us later with our connection to our partner and our ability to read our partner's intentions and actions.

After warm-ups and suburi, we did another interesting drill.  It was a Men strike, just stepping in and striking our partner's shinai as our back foot pulled into place, but we did it a number of different ways.  First, we tried to perform a full swing and full speed and stop the shinai as close to the target as possible without actually hitting it.  I was only able to get to within a couple inches of the target; when I tried to get closer I ended up smacking my partner's shinai.  Next we would perform another full swing at full speed, but our goal was to barely touch their shinai.  I failed horribly at this, making a very noticeable clacking sound as I hit the target a bit too hard each time.  After that we performed a swing at full speed with normal power, as if we were hitting and going through, and finally a Men strike with way too much power.  All very interesting, and it helped showcase the proper use of tenouchi and shinai control (or lack thereof).

After suiting up, Sensei had us go over three different styles of kirikaeshi.  We have gone over them before, and performed each one at various times, but our kirikaeshi time was focused on each one separately.  The first is to perform kirikaeshi with slow, precise movements and strikes, making sure to pause between each strike.  This style emphasizes good technique.  The second style is to keep that good technique but move continuously, without pausing.  It can still be performed relatively slow, and emphasis is kept on good technique, but there are no pauses between strikes or steps.  The third style we performed was to go as fast as possibly, throwing every other thought out of our minds.  Seth demonstrated to us, and he was very fast, but his basics held up throughout.  Sensei said that if we practice good basics, even when we're not consciously thinking about them, we should be able to fall back on them while focusing on other aspects of our Kendo.

We moved into some Men drills, and the theme of the night was "Think Faster."  This is a point that I've mentioned before, and it has worked for me.  I have lately been not only trying to physically train, but also to mentally train in a better way, and this falls right in-line with that thought process.  I want to have a reason behind what I do, and be able to push myself physically and mentally in every practice.  If I can do this, I can improve my Kendo dramatically. 

During the rest of the drills that night, I tried to keep a focus in my mind of "strike faster," or "my opponent is fast, but I'm faster."  Even if I wasn't physically moving faster in the drills (which I was trying to do), I mentally felt better, more active, and faster.  I think the place where I noticed it the most was in my jigeiko match with Jordan.  He is a very fast, very strong Shodan at our dojo, and he's very intimidating to fight.  With just my change of mentality during our match I felt that I was able to give him a bit better fight, and I was able to show a bit more of what I have and what I've learned and I felt as though I didn't back down as much as I normally do with him. 

All in all it was a great night, and I'm glad I was able to make it.  I'll be sure to continue working on the physical and mental aspects of training, no matter how hard they are.

A few thoughts:

Ando Sensei:  I tend to hesitate sometimes when I'm in jigeiko.  He says that I should not hesitate.  When I resolve to make an attack I should follow-through, despite the consequences.  I felt this at one point during the night.  I was doing jigeiko with Wendy, and I stepped in and went to strike Men.  I knew that she was going for Kaeshi-Do, but I struck anyway.  I was countered, but it was the one moment last night where I can say that I made a resolution to strike and went through with it, despite the consequences.  I want to be able to do this more, to throw myself whole-heartedly into my attacks.

Sinclair Sensei:  I attended the beginner's class last night, to work on my basics, and Sinclair Sensei noted that my left foot is a bit "over-corrected."  I turn my heel a bit too far out, and when I do fumikomi I'm pushing with the outside edge of my foot, instead of having it straight and pushing with my whole foot.  I tried to take a moment and find the feeling of pushing off with my entire foot, and I tried to concentrate on that the rest of the night.  He said it could be the reason why my leg is sore, so I'll definitely take this to heart and work on correcting it as soon as I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the