Skip to main content

Over-Extending Myself

Oh boy.  Just one week before the UW Taikai I end up pulling my leg muscle.  I don't think it's anything serious, but I'm definitely in some pain today.  Sensei advised me to get some good ol' R&R and let it mend itself naturally.  This is one time that I'm kind of glad that I don't have practice again until Monday, so I have a few days to let my leg recover.  Also, come next week, I might take it easy and not push myself too hard so that I can be as close to 100% for the taikai as possible.  The funny this is that I wasn't doing anything extreme when it happened, either.  I was just going through one of the drills, and I was concentrating on snapping my left leg up quickly after my fumikomi.  Things happen, and it definitely could've been worse.

Despite my injury, which took place early on in the night, I pushed myself as hard as I could.  I had to modify my fumikomi so it was basically in place, and also take baby steps on my follow-through, but I made it through and was able to spend some time with some kihon drills and with Kaeshi Do, which I definitely need some work on.  Both my Kaeshi and Suriaga waza seem to put me too close to my partner, and I end up hitting too deep with the shinai.  I think I'll talk to Sensei about this sometime and see what advice he has for correcting this issue.

I was able to practice a lot of Men strikes last night, specifically pressing in before the hit.  Pressuring towards the Tsuki, as if I'm going to stab my partner right in the throat, and then lifting up for small Men at the last minute.  This is definitely what I want my Men to become.  I also observed  Sean (McNally Sensei) a lot, as he was back in town and came out to train with us last night.  His Men strike is very fast and powerful, and I noticed that it goes forward as one motion, instead of the up/back swing and then down and forward.  I've been working on this myself lately, trying to move more forward and not bounce up and down with my center, and also to eliminate the wasted movement in my small Men strike that I've seen in videos lately.

We divided up towards the end of class and did motodachi-geiko, with the Yudansha standing in as motodachi.  I had matches with almost all of the Yudansha, but by that point I was pretty much reduced to standing in place and striking with non-existent fumikomi.  Every once in a while I bounded forward with a strike, but I tried to stay very light on my feet so that I wouldn't injure myself even more.  Even with that I had to step out a few times to stretch and rest.  The night ended for me after we had split into Yudansha/Mudansha groups to continue jigeiko.  I had a few rounds there and decided that I should quit while I'm ahead and not injure myself further by over-extending myself.  I'm ok with giving up some practice time now to ensure that I'm good for the taikai next weekend.

Some thoughts:

Jigeiko:  Ando Sensei said that he noticed that sometimes I will make up my mind to strike, and then about halfway through the motion I'll stop myself.  He says that I shouldn't do this, that I should make my decision and follow-through with it (he used the "closing the eyes" example again, saying I should make up my mind and just close my eyes and strike with everything I have).  He also said that my Men is becoming stronger, and that Ai-Men is something I should shoot for.  I have a strong Men and can keep the center and win in Ai-Men if I keep working on it.

Fumikomi:  McNally Sensei said that I should try pressuring forward with my foot first, and then doing fumikomi at the last minute.  He said this might help with bringing my left foot up quickly, and will help make my strikes faster and my fumikomi smaller and more efficient.  I will keep this advice for later on when I am feeling better with everything.

Comments

  1. "Also, come next week, I might take it easy and not push myself too hard so that I can be as close to 100% for the taikai as possible."

    Might?

    No, you should.

    :p

    We gain nothing by making small problems worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Em. I actually found out that I won't be able to train again until the night before the taikai (which will be this Friday), so I've had plenty of time to rest my leg and let it heal. It's definitely feeling a lot better but I'm going to take it easy and not overdo it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the