Skip to main content

Takado Sensei

This weekend we had a special "guest" with us.  Takado Sensei returned to train with us after being gone for a few months.  I say "guest" because a lot of us still consider her part of our dojo, myself included.  Having her back, even for a short time, was like filling a hole that was left in our training and I think that a lot of people felt it, judging by the level of Kendo and the high spirit that we all had on Saturday.

The main focus continued to be pressing in with our shinai before we strike, and we went over a lot of kihon drills to emphasize this.  First in place, with no Men or Kote on, and we continued from from there into our normal practice.  I, myself, also worked on keeping a straight posture and bending my wrists back and making them more flexible as I began my swing.  I've been too stiff, and I would like to eliminate it from my strikes as soon as possible.  It will add some much needed speed and (less needed) power.  I've also been working on trying to keep my swing rather uniform with the way I hold my Kamae, as Billy showed me a couple weeks ago.  Not straightening my arms out when I raise up to swing, and instead letting them stay "naturally straight" like in Kamae.  It seems to be going well, so maybe soon I will ask Billy to watch my swing again and see.

I didn't actually get to practice with Takado Sensei, since we were split into Yudansha/Mudansha groups, but still the energy was there.  Everyone as at the top of their game on Saturday, giving their all, with very high spirits.  I would have loved to just sit back and watch it and take it all in (I did step back momentarily but was quick to jump back in after a round or two).  It seemed like we were all feeding off each other and the overall spirit of the training that day to keep going, to keep pushing.  I know personally after I stepped back in I was fresh and ready to go and stayed in for the rest of the practice time.

Jigeiko was really fun for me on Saturday, and I worked on (among other things) striking first.  With a lot of people I experimented with striking immediately after bowing in, and for the most part I was successful with it.  One of my friends commented that he did not see me coming that fast, because a lot of people get into a pattern of bowing in and then taking time to settle in and get into the match (or the practice).  I do this myself, but I was trying to eliminate the wasted time, as Sensei has been advising us to do recently.  It proved to be a good strategy, but like all things I'll try not to do it too often so that people don't expect it from me.  I also tried using a bit more oji waza, including Nuki Men and Debana Kote.  I can do Debana Kote in drills, but in jigeiko it's way harder to get the timing down because you have to anticipate what your partner is going to do, or entice them into doing what you want (which is also something I'm trying to work on).  Also I've been trying to develop seme in my practice, putting that unseen pressure on my partners during jigeiko.  Since I'm farily new to this, it's a hard concept to grasp and try and implement, but as I practice and study it I'm sure things will become clearer for me.

After practice I had a chance to talk to Takado Sensei.  I'm hoping that we will be able to do jigeiko and practice together next time she visits.  She did tell me that I have beautiful Kendo, and she said to not lose that.  Don't worry about points in matches or anything like that, just keep my beautiful Kendo.  I was very honored to hear this from her, considering she has an enormous amount of experience, and I will definitely take her words to heart and continue to develop my beauitful Kendo.

Some thoughts:

Ai-Men:  I'm think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  There were a lot of times when I would go against people and we would end up knocking each other out of center and neither of us would hit our mark.  Other times I was able to hit Men fairly easily and straight.  I'll continue to work on this technique, as I can see a lot of potential with it.

Debana Kote:  In order to use it more effectively in jigeiko I think I need to create the opening myself instead of waiting for one to happen.  That way I can be in total control of when the moment arrives.  I'll work on opening my Men for people to try and force their movement.

Nuki Men:  It's looking a lot better than it did at PNKF, and I'm able to hit while going forward with most people.  I'll continue to develop this technique, as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the