Skip to main content

Pushing the Limit...Over and Over...

Sometimes I wonder why I do Kendo.  I mean, I've never questioned whether I should quit or not, that thought hasn't even crossed my mind.  I just wonder sometimes.  From a neutral standpoint, it seems that I push and push and push to the edge of exhaustion, and then come back and do it again.  Over and over.  Multiple times a week.  I end up tired, sore, sometimes injured, but still I come back to do it again.  This can probably explain a lot of sports and martial arts that people decide to take up.  But then I remember the feeling I get from hitting a really good Men-uchi, or pushing just that little more beyond what I think I can do and getting that much more satisfaction from training.  Or the fact that it helps to make me a better person by applying lessons I learn in Kendo to other areas of my life.  So many good points to think about.  What was the point of this?  Not sure, just some good ol' fashioned pearls of wisdom from a very humble person.

 
Last night was one of those nights.  THOSE nights.  That leave me exhausted and sore all over the next day.  But it was a great class, and I feel like I kept up a bit of the "advanced" feeling I gained from training last week.  But I also found out that the harder I push myself, the faster I get exhausted.  I had to sit out a couple of times last night, but each time I jumped back in when I felt I could handle it again.  I felt like I pushed myself to the edge, stepped back a bit, and then rushed back at the edge again a few times last night.  Even though I felt like passing out last night, looking back on it I think I did a great job, personally, even though I had to step out a few times.

 
We started off the night with Men drills without our bogu on.  Just hitting each other's shinais.  The focus was, as it has been, on no wasted movement and fast shinai speed.  I've been working on keeping my shinai up so that it doesn't drop below parallel, and I think that my "muscle memory" is beginning to change and remember this.  I feel that each training session I have to think about it a little less.  When we moved onto hitting Men and pushing through, I tried to remember to do my follow-through steps as fast as possible, while pushing forward with my shinai for that "second cut" that Sinclair Sensei talks about.  It feels like my footwork is improving, but I still have to actively think about it.  My biggest thought last night was, "GO FASTER," and it helped a lot.  I also tried to focus on pushing straight through instead of stepping to the side, as Ando Sensei showed me a few weeks ago.  This led to a few run-ins with other people, but he said that it's ok to do that.

 
After grabbing our Men and Kote we went into Kirikaeshi, as is our normal routine.  Sensei pointed out after class that I am doing a great job of hitting and stopping the shinai, but that I should start to focus on speed.  He mentioned that I need to have faster shinai movement and that will help my footwork become faster.  I've tried this a few times at home and it's definitely hard to do.  Be accurate, move faster, and not stop the shinai like I'm used to doing.  I'll continue to work on this, in and outside of the dojo.

 
The next few drills were Men, Kote-Men, and Do, and we were supposed to try and keep the same fast shinai speed that we were working on earlier.  While I think I did this, I was also told that A) I drop my shinai tip right before I strike, and B) this happened when I started getting tired, but I bned my knees before I launch forward.  Both of these are bad habits to pick up, as they telegraph my intentions.  I need to work on striking from a fairly fixed point (relative to what I'm doing). 

 
Debana Kote.  Sensei went over this a bit last night, outlining four different techniques for striking them, and telling us that we should experiment with each one to see what feels best for us, or if we already know what feels best to work on that.  The ways that he noted were:
  1. Fumikomi with right foot and strike while moving to the right side of the opponent's body.  This works just like regular Kote would, but with a much shorter fumikomi since the opponent will be charging in at us.
  2. Bring the left foot forward and fumikomi with it while moving to the opponent's right side.  Some people find this to be faster.  It's not one that I've worked on too much, but I want to start working on it a bit more when I have the chance.
  3. Fumikomi with the right foot, but move to the right side of the opponenet as you strike. The key point here is to turn your hips and body as the opponent moves through, and continue to display zanshin back while facing the opponent.  I felt really comfortable with this move, but it seems to require a bit faster shinai speed since it feels, to me, like I have to move across the opponent's body instead of to the side.
  4. Perform Hiki Kote, and display zanshin while moving backwards.  This one works well with opponents that are significantly faster than you, as it gives you a few extra moments to set up and strike.
I mainly focused on the first and third examples, with the third being my preferred method of striking Debana Kote.  I do want to be at a point where I can use any of them, though, so I don't become predictable in my movements.

 
After a short break I jumped into Jigeiko.  Since I was the lowest ranked person at training last night, I was able to train with the higher kyus and the Yudansha, which felt awesome.  I was SO SO tired by this point, but I tried to push on so that I could soak up as much time and training with them as I could.  I've been working on my Hiki Waza a lot lately, and actually used it a few times in Jigeiko, even a few times that I think were rather successful.  I feel that the weird pause I have is starting to disappear, and there were a few times I struck Hiki Men and moved back so fast I even surprised myself.  This is all, of course, from my point-of-view and very well could have seemed faster because I was tired, but it's encouraging to me nonetheless. 

 
After practice, I spoke with Ando Sensei and Sinclair Sensei.  Ando Sensei said that my Men strike is very fast, and that I should continue to work on not hesitating during jigeiko.  This is definitely a problem for me, especially when going up again the higher Yudansha in our club.  It brings to mind a term I've read about a few times.  Shikai, the four sicknesses of the mind. They are: Surprise, Fear, Hesitation, and Doubt.  I definitely feel Hesitation and Doubt while fighting some of them, and I need to work to clear my mind of such negative thoughts and feelings.  Sinclair Sensei said that I have improved my shinai speed and footwork, and to continue working on it, and that I need to start working on making my strikes in Kirikaeshi faster.

 
A great practice last night, and I'm definitely still feeling the drain it put on me, but I look forward to going back for more this weekend.

 
A few thoughts:

 
Men:  Don't drop my tip down before I strike, and don't bend my knees down before I strike, either.  I need to be able to hit from a static spot, or while moving in jigeiko.  I'll work on this, on exploding from a standstill, so to speak.

 
Kirikaeshi:  Again, work on faster shinai speed and faster footwork during jigeiko.

 
Ashi Sabaki:  Continue with my mindset of "Be Faster."  It's helping a lot, and helping me push myself even harder than before, which is helping to have a faster shinai and faster footwork.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the