Skip to main content

Spokane Kendo Camp 2010 pt. 2 - War!!










Some shots of the dojo we had for the weekend.

Well I covered a bit of the training that we had during camp, and the overall message of keeping a connection with our partner. Sensei also explained how this permeated everything that we did, and that we also practiced keeping connections with the group/team as a whole. We hung out together this weekend. We ate together. Slept as a group together. And played together.

Sunday morning, after breakfast, we all gathered up for a game of War...well, everyone with bogu, that is. If you don't know what War is, let me explain real quick. War is a game that we play in teams or as a free-for-all. We tie balloons to various valid strike points on our bogu, and the object is to pop everyone else's balloons. Doing so will make them "dead" and they are out of the game. The winner is the one left standing with balloons at the end. They then get beat up by everyone else that played the game until their balloons are gone, as well.

We had eight people that joined in the game, so we started with a 4 vs. 4 team match, and then a free-for-all for the winning team. Our team consisted of Dan, Matt, Mark, and myself (red team), against Andy, Rik, Marek, and Makayla (yellow team).


Some free time before the game started










Sensei explaining the rules and boundaries










The teams discussing strategies










Game on!!



















Our team strategy was to use the buddy system, and Matt and I quickly paired up to fight Rik and Andy while Dan and Mark took on Marek and Makayla. I fought hard against Andy, finally taking all of his balloons, and then ran over to help Matt take out Rik.










Matt and I dispatched Rik, last year's free-for-all champion, and went to join Dan and Mark, who were still fighting against their opponents. With us it made the fight 4 on 2. We all worked together to take out Marek, which left Makayla as our last opponent.










We took Makayla down together, but not before she popped one of my balloons! She fought really hard, but in the end numbers overcame her. At this time the game became free-for-all, last man standing. I quickly turned on Matt and popped his last balloon to put him out of the game, leaving the game with Mark, Dan, and myself.










After a lot of feinting and striking, we all found ourselves down to one balloon each; our Do balloons. Sensei had us all switch to Jodan at this point to finish out the match.

I fought both of my opponents and Dan and I were finally able to take Mark's last balloon, leaving the game between the two of us, both still in Jodan.










I fought bravely and fiercely, but in the end Dan's technique overcame me, and he took my last balloon. His prize? Being mobbed by everyone that "died" before, until his balloon finally popped.










We all had a great time, and I think I did pretty well for my very first game of War. Our team won, and I took second in the free-for-all. I hope that next year we can get some more people in on the game, and I'll definitely be gunning for Dan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the