Skip to main content

Obukan - Friday Night Practice

There aren't many words that can fully describe what transpired this past weekend at the Obukan Taikai, and the trip as a whole, but "awesome" and "amazing" come pretty close.

We had a 3-day trip to Portland, OR for the Rose City Taikai (hosted by Obukan Kendo Club). We left Friday morning, and after a fun trip down there (I'm being totally serious, the trip down was a blast!), we arrived at the dojo around 6:30pm, just in time to get ready for Friday night practice with Obukan.

Being in a dojo that's not your own, you have to realize a few things, one of which is that they do things a bit differently. I did my best to follow along, and everything went fairly smoothly except for a couple of drills. there were about 25 people there that night, most of the group actually being made up of those of us that came from Spokane. We started off with some warmup exercises and then jumped into kirikaeshi. The only difference I noticed here was that most people didn't receive taiatari at all. They would step back after the first men hit. Hmmm.... Not a big deal, just not something I was used to.

We moved on to some Men and Do drills. I was thrown off quite a bit by the Do drills, because my receivers would all move in towards me before I started to hit, so it forced me to hit as they came at me. Some people were a bit faster at this, so I really had to be ready (after the first couple of times where they moved at me and I didn't do anything because I wasn't used to it). I'm still sloppy on my Do, and I think with them moving at me it brought it out even more. Must work on this!!!

We jumped straight into jigeiko at this point, and pretty much continued jigeiko for the rest of the night. I was able to practice with a lot of the Obukan club that was there, including a couple of their senseis.  With both sensei that I fought I was unable to do much at all, as they danced around me and my kamae and shinai and hit me at will. One of the sensei had me do an interesting drill with him. He would move his shinai out of center, and I was supposed to kiai before he pulled it back to center. I failed, a lot! But I finally started to get it. He came up to me and said "Ok, good, now when you kiai, hit me!" Again, a lot of failed hits followed these instructions, but after a while I got a couple of good hits with him. He was very nice, although somewhat unorthodox with his teaching methods, and he had a lot of good advice for me. He also had me stand in kamae while he pushed on my back, and then he had me slightly lift my right foot so that all the pressure he was putting on me sent me forward. He said that is the feeling I should have all the time, a pressure to go forward so that when I lift my foot I should immediately shoot forward at my opponent.

The next sensei I had the pleasure of fighting with was an older sensei by the name of Strauch Sensei. He told me that we would practice until I got one good ippon (point). What I don't think he realized was that I am fairly new to Kendo, so it took me FOREVER to get that one point. After he beat on me pretty good I finally got a Men strike when he went in to hit Do. He said it was very good, and then had me get two more points before he bowed out. I finally took those two points, but I have no idea how long it took me to do so. It was very much a test of patience as well as anything else, trying to stay in there while getting beat on to try and get those valid points. I appreciated Strauch Sensei's efforts very much! He also said that I should be like a coiled spring, ready to rush forward at a moment's notice.

We ended with a last round of kirikaeshi before bowing out and heading to our hotel. Pizza and fellowship was the last thing on the agenda for Friday before we all went to our rooms and prepared for the next day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sutemi

 The Japanese-English Kendo dictionary, located at www.kendo-usa.org, defines sutemi as: " Sute-mi   (n.)  1.  Concentration and effort with all one’s might, even at the risk of death.  2.  Concentration of all one’s effort into one strike, even at the risk of defeat." Ok, so risking everything at the risk of defeat or death.  But how does that apply to our own training?  Fighting to the death is a very foreign concept to many of us, but I believe that we can all understand fighting at the risk of defeat.  This is a concept that we've started examining in more detail at our dojo lately, and one that I believe can be learned at any stage of practice that you're at. To put it simply, Sensei explained that sutemi is putting 100% effort into a strike.  Holding nothing back and leaving all cares and worries behind so that you can give all of yourself over to that strike.  it sounds like a complicated idea, and it is, but just like all things in kendo I believe that

Nuki Men - A Personal Look

2010 Kent Taikai This month we'll be focusing on nuki waza at our dojo, specifically nuki men and nuki kote.  Here are just a few of my own (emphasis on own!) thoughts on the subject. I, personally, love nuki men. It's been one of my favorite techniques for years and years, and I used it a lot when I was a mudansha.  I still use it now on occasion, for that matter, but in order to become and stay effective with it I had to learn a few things.  These are things which work for me and your mileage may vary, as one of my friends like to say.  First off is the movement itself.  I'll start with the "classic" version with kote-nuki men.  One person attacks the kote, and their opponent responds by raising the shinai up and countering with a men strike of their own.  In this scenario there are a few things I like to keep in mind.  The first being to get my hands out of the way!  I can't just lift my shinai and expect to be ok, I have to also get my hands (and my

Harai Waza

Photo courtesy of T. Patana, Kendo Photography Another month down, another new focus for training.  This month we'll be focusing on harai waza.  Here are some of my personal thoughts on it, from my own training and experience. I really had trouble figuring out how to start this entry.  Normally I just open the page and go to work, letting whatever ideas and thoughts I have flow out onto the screen, but this one really had me stumped for a while, mainly because everything I started to write sounded really negative and I didn't mean it to, so I think I'll just go with it and try to get to the point that I was trying to make in the first place. When I first started learning harai waza it was part of kihon kata three.  If you want to be fancy, that would be the Bokuto ni yoru kendo kihon waza keiko ho, kihon san - harai waza .  The idea was simple: strike the motodachi's shinai out of center and deliver a men strike, all in one smooth movement.  It was one of the